About Me

My photo
Hampshire, United Kingdom
In July 2010 I graduated from KLC School of Design in London with a Professional Diploma in Interior Design (please see the tabs below for course details and project portfolios). Since September 2010 I've been working for a local interior design practice just outside Alton in Hampshire. Through this blog, I hope to share with you products which I like and things which inspire me - together with the odd post about my own home which is a working project. A good home is never finished!

Wednesday 2 March 2016

My Own Home - Kitchen


As promised, here is the first of a few updates!  The first room we tackled was the kitchen, and that was prompted by a new (and relocated) boiler which left a hole in the wall - how convenient!

So, as a reminder, this is what it looked like .....





A new kitchen wasn't on the agenda at all but when we returned from Kefalonia, we were greeted with what we thought was a leaking boiler (and a drawer full of water!).  It turned out to be the hot water tank which was leaking in the airing cupboard above but as the boiler was almost 30 years old we decided to replace it and had it moved into the airing cupboard, freeing up that corner of the kitchen.

Conveniently (!) we couldn't find any cupboards to match the old ones so had to have a new kitchen!










We had to remove all the wall tiles and flooring but the rest came out in less than a day - perfect excuse to eat out!


Within a week we had a new kitchen and once it was in I could start thinking about the best bit - choosing the fabric for the blinds and the paint colour .......... 

I chose Romo Tulipa for the blinds - on seeing the pattern book with this fabric, one of our clients said "it makes your heart sing doesn't it!"
I then had to choose the colour - red or blue??




I loved the blue but just felt that the red worked better with the French Grey units. I contrast lined the blinds with Ian Sanderson Pippi Stripe in Lime (now discontinued but there will be an alternative). We do this quite often - lining curtains and blinds with a contrasting fabric rather than plain lining means you have something nice to look at from the outside too!


For the walls I chose Zoffany Mist and the wall tiles are Retro Metro which have a lovely crackle glaze (by Fired Earth). 

Zoffany Paint - Sample Pot 125ml Mist (pastel)
Zoffany Mist 

And here's the finished result ........








Of course, as we all know, a room is never really finished, 
so now I'm changing the fabric on the chairs .......




I whittled it down to 2 - Jane Churchill Gable (the zig zag fabric above) in either the red or leaf colour and Romo Kahlo in redcurrant.  In the end, I went for the Romo Kahlo - it was just slightly better with the Tulipa,  The fabric has arrived and I'm just waiting for the upholsterer to have a slot to schedule them in - watch this space!



That's all for now - the next room to benefit from a bit of love and attention was the conservatory, so that will be the subject of the next update.


No comments:

Post a Comment